Life before the web: Writer/researcher/editor in the 90s,
PR practitioner in the 70s and 80s
Independent writer, editor, researcher; Chicago, IL and Bloomington, IN
January 1990 - March 1998
Projects and ongoing assignments included:
- Survey research projects for Exposures (mail order catalog), Illinois Tollway Authority, Cinzano, others
- Writing on popular technology and other topics for Prodigy, Home Office Computing and assorted trade and educational journals; writing of brochures, manuals and training materials for SPSS Inc., a statistical software company.
- Editing a monthly newsletter for employees of Harvard Business
School Press -- two versions: print and Intranet
- Monthly editing of HR Reporter for three years, subscription-based newsletter for senior-level corporate human resource executives.
- Handling franchise public relations accounts for Francorp (see permanent positions with Francorp described next).
- Staying at home with my young children.
Francorp, Inc., Chicago, IL
Director of Public Relations, April 1989 - January 1990
Assistant Director of Public Relations, April 1988 - April 1989
Senior Copywriter, February 1988 - April 1988
- Served as group manager for client public relations function of a national franchise consulting firm. Also handled publicity for the consulting firm itself.
- Clients included PIP Printing, 1100-unit printing chain, and Truckstops of America, a division of British Petroleum.
- Succeeded in positioning Francorp as the nation's leading expert on franchising through regular mentions in The Wall Street Journal and all the major business publications.
Ketchum/Bohle Public Relations, Los Angeles CA
September 1985 - January 1987, Senior Account Executive
January 1987 - January 1988, Account Supervisor
Worked on national accounts including:
- The 100-city promotion of the Kodak Liberty Ride Festival
- Waterbed Manufacturers Association; crisis media relations and
successful positioning of the waterbed as an aid to health
- Much earlier freelance work for Ketchum (1978) is now a claim to infamy -- arranged a press conference for O.J. Simpson at the start ofhis spokemanship for TreeSweet orange juice.
WBWB Radio, Bloomington, IN
Account Executive, January 1983 - August 1985
Advertising sales position for a promotion-oriented radio station in a college market. Handled both agency and local accounts.
Franklin College, Franklin, IN
Director of Publications and Media Relations, December 1980 - January 1983
- Reported to the college president and served as ex-officio member of the institution's executive committee.
- Media relations responsibility, including TV and feature placement, preparation of 200 news releases each year, supervision of the sports information and photo lab functions
- Publications writing, design and production
- Advertising strategy, concept, copy production and placement.
- Supervised staff, administered department budget and purchased printing for the entire organization.
St. Louis Public Schools, St. Louis, MO
Communications Specialist, February 1979 - October 1980
Assistant Community Involvement Coordinator, October 1977 - February 1979
- Crisis media relations during court-ordered desegregation and an 8-week teachers strike.
- Production of a local Emmy Award-winning series of public service announcements.
- Brochure writing and production.
- Art direction for a 100,000 circulation monthly tabloid.
National Bank of Detroit, Detroit, MI
Assistant Special Events Coordinator, August 1974 - March 1977
- Worked on Silver Anvil award-winning crime prevention program.
- Supervised tour guides and school tour program.
- Arranged branch bank openings
- Prepared lobby exhibits.
Resume home | Web experience | PR experience