Web experience | PR experience
Author of e-book for O'Reilly Media, Getting Acquainted with OPML
Recreational web site creation; Bloomington, IN, and Chicago,
IL October 1995 - present
Founder of two virtual communities, now operated by volunteer committees:
The Republic of Pemberley,
a Jane Austen discussion site now receiving more than 7 million
page views each month, and PhinisheD,
a support group for stalled dissertation writers.
Online Content Manager, National Safety
Council; Chicago, IL
August 2005 - Present
- Translate the council's periodicals and some of its books into electronic form.
- Develop new online products.
E-Commerce Developer, National Safety
Council; Chicago, IL
March 2001 - July 2005
- Responsible for electronic commerce on the site, and in direct e-mail. Shepherded development of a new shopping cart and other online applications. Counsel internal clients on use of the web as marketing tool.
- Acknowledged as the most technology savvy of the 4-person web staff; called on to work with programmers on database projects outside my e-commerce realm.
- Guided the Council's first efforts to develop online learning: chose a learning management system; primary vendor contact, working with instructional designers, content developers and hosting companies; prepare RFPs; train and support customer service personnel. Work with management to define online product development objectives.
Contract Web and editorial work; Chicago, IL
November 1999 - March 2001
- "Retemplating" project for Andersen Consulting. Part of a large team converting Andersen's own site to XML.
- Virtual community (message board and chat room) supervision for AT&T WorldNet Service, and other commercial web sites' community sections. Long-term project through a consulting firm.
- Edit HTML e-mail newsletter for employees of Harvard Business School Publishing.
- Copyediting and news writing for Electronic Packaging & Production magazine, a Cahners publication.
Webmaster; Indiana University Alumni Association, Bloomington, IN
March 1998 - November 1999
Tended the alumni association site. A 1-person show:
- Served as CGI/Perl programmer, writer, designer and idea machine.
- Credited with making the site more interactive, more homey and more "revisitable."
- Managed community tools including message boards and listservs.
Positions held during a former life as a PR practitioner
- Central Michigan University, 1974 B.A. in journalism
- Polytechnic of Central London School of Photography, Summer 1972
- Former board member of the St. Louis chapter of the International Association of Business Communicators
- Former publications chair of Public Relations Society of America in Detroit
Resume home | Web experience | PR experience